Sunday, July 23, 2006

Crazy morning

Nothing can be taken for granted in Indonesia. The school sends a driver to take the teachers to work every morning. Today we had the "new guy." He spoke not a word of English and did not know how to get from our neighborhood to the school. We were successful in guiding him but once we were within a mile from the school he realized, or seemed to remember that there were more teachers that he was supposed to pick up. Thus, he turned the van around and returned to the neighborhood. He showed me a slip of paper with some names and numbers on it but none of us were totally certain where the house was. We found it, but by that time the teachers had left. Whether they had tired of working and hired a taxi, I'm still not sure. We arrived at the exact time we were supposed to begin homeroom (called Mentor period here).

The price of basketballs is not cheap, roughly 10 US dollars per ball. Imported items like that are not necessarily cheap here, but still cheaper than in the States.

I've met several more expats, mostly Brits with gregarious and extroverted personalities. One who ends every sentence with the word "yeah?" As in, "So we we're all in the pub, yeah? Two blokes, ugliest men I'd ever seen, yeah? These two guys wearing shirts as filthy as the bottom of me shoes, yeah? Sit right down next to me and start giving me the eye. So I says to them, I says. 'Ello fellas, should I get the next round?"

We were taken out for milkshakes the other day. I milk shake here is chocolate, cream, and ice, not ice cream, milk and chocolate. I mentioned this oddity to my British friend and he told me that the Indonesian way of making a shake is also the British way. Comparitively speaking, we have it all over these people in terms of dessert. I bought some jelly beans that taste like suntan lotion. I can't imagine how anyone could know that and put them in one's mouth. I went out for a lovely Indonesian dinner with some friends and it was fantastic, but dessert came and it was these teddy bear shaped brown jelly looking things. I asked this Singaporean woman what these things were and she answered, "That's bean pudding. You don't have to eat it, it's terrible." I took her word.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, this is posted by you on Monday, right?This is all very interesting. I hope it continues to be that way for you. Is their food spicy, like aisan food here?

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have been looking at what you have been up to. hope all continues to go well.
Love, The Brown Fam

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home