Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I'm having a devil of time with the pictures

Ideally I'd be sitting in a cafe with wireless service and the ease of my macbook would be dotting this blog's landscape with excellent pictures. As it is, I'm encountering troubles and not sure how to solve them. The easiest solution would be to get back to Medan and to the school where my MacBook should be able to function with wireless internet service and no hitches. Also, of course, by next Monday at the latest, I will be able to publish the posts I've saved to my word processing program and then you will all be up to date.

To answer a few questions, as near as I can figure, I'm in Singapore to get my visa because that is the nearest Indonesian embassy and because there are people here associated with Singapore Piaget Academy who can help us. Our director is also a restaurant owner and operates a Chinese restaurant here as well as in Medan.

Answer two, children only laughed at me in America because of my very keen sense of humor. Here, they think I'm Superman.

The flight was quite long and difficult and I wouldn't recommend that others ever try unless they can do it in business class or something with some leg room. Another solution would be to break up the flight with a night's stay in a hotel. I was unable to really sleep for any portion of the flight and now I know what jet lag is, although I've recovered by now. There's an Australian man doing business on the phone (here cell phones are called handphones) very loudly and I'd really like him to shut his trap, it's quite difficult to think.

We have nothing to do in Singapore today except to wait until tomorrow afternoon to pick up our visas. We fly back to Medan (about an hour and ten minutes in the air) tomorrow evening. Singapore is actually and hour later than Medan. Medan is exactly 12 hours later than Central time in the States. Thus, it's afternoon here and early morning where all of you our (I'm assuming that I have no SE Asian readers, or any readers for that matter who don't know me personally).

I appreciate the comments and questions, please continue to ask. Again, once I'm set up a bit better, I can begin to answer emails and send emails and this forum can be reserved for general commentary and photos and to give you some idea of the Indonesian experience.

Yesterday we were led about town by Singaporean colleague who I mentioned earlier. We went to see the man made island of Sentosa which houses the gigantic stature of the MerLion (a creature with the head of a lion and the body of a fish). Pictures of that, too, will soon be available. From the mouth of the MerLion (Singa means Lion, just look at the seal on a bottle of singa beer), one can see the beautiful skyline and the world's second largest port, both very impressive and I've photographed them as well.

I know that there are more promises of pictures than actual pictures, that will change quite soon, hang in there. Lastly, I am doing well and am looking forward to begining school next week. Regards.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamison said...

For once, the universal small talk line seems completely appropriate and I'm actually interested in the answer.

So, how's the weather?

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home