Thursday, July 27, 2006

Just getting rid of Singapore photos

I had promised to post retrospectively my musings in Singapore. This photo is also of downtown Singapore where there are many, many tall modern buildings. I have so many photos from Singapore and it seems like so long ago that I don't even really want to bother with the retroactive posts and photos any longer. From here on out, I will be posting photos that have some relation to what I'm doing and where I'm at at the moment.

Every day of the week I spend one half hour in one or more Primary level classes (elementary school to Americans). I teach Social Studies. This area of scholarship whether in Primary or Secondary school is of very little importance to my school which, incidentally, operates using a Singapore curriculum. Math, Science and English are the focus or, Maths, as they say here and throughout the UK.

So, I was in a class full of Primary 4ers and was attempting via Socratic Method to lead them toward identifying the varying elements of Social Studies. I was attempting to get them to come up with the word Government by asking "who makes the decisions in a country about how things are run?" When that failed to elicit a response I tried this, "For instance, who decides to start a war?" Half the class answered, "The United States" while the other half said, 'Japan.'

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is going to be close to 100 degrees this weekend. How are your temps? We will try to call you on the weekend - possibly Sun. a.m. our time. Love, Mom

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home