Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Haven't had time to read today's papers

I have about 15 minutes before school starts. Skimming the headlines of Google News it appears the Dems did capture the house, though no headline said that as such. Rumsfeld is stepping down, didn't read the story yet, but my guess is that he would like to "spend more time with his family." I wonder how his family feels about that. I remember listening to the NPR show "Wait, wait, don't tell me" and hearing Roy Blount (I think that's his name, and I think there's a basketball player named that as well) saying that one's family never appreciates your company more than during a stretch of depression after you've been recently sacked. Of course, Mr. Bush didn't look too far and wide for his replacement but simply went back to the shortlist of cronies. Bush rarely lets anyone go, so his shortlist truly lives up to its name. My guess is that Gates was briefly head of the search committee. And I ask you, why not Harriet Myers?

The biography of Benjamin Harrison did not have a point. But if it did, it would be as a counter narrative to the ever popular glowing and gushing presidential biographies that populate most History sections of commercial American bookstores. I just made everything up, though, I don't know anything about Benjamin Harrison. But all that is beside the point, and as I said, it didn't have a point. It was my blog equivalent to something a friend of mine did back in college. He was writing a short story for a creative writing class and had no ideas as to how to finish it. He didn't like the story anyway. So in final few pages he wrote, "I may as well just finish this with random passages from a Judy Blume novel so far as anyone cares." And, this, he did. I don't remember what sort of grade he got, but I got a good laugh out of it.

That's all for today. I have many exam revisions to do now, and classes and the god damned UN day that should be called "international stereotype reinforcement day." Someone pointed out that it has not a thing to do with the UN. The Aussie said all Australia does for the UN is to support the US. She asked what the US does for the UN, and I said, "dominate it." Well, we do our best to dominate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home