Monday, November 06, 2006

The Halloween Party, et cetera

As are all major events at my school, the Halloween Party was an extravagent, expensive, disorganized affair. In fact, "organization" is not a concept known by the administrators of this school who, I am guessing, believe that ideas that pop into their head should become manifest at their will without them having to lift a finger, let alone speak to anyone about their vision.

I did not wear a costume as work and other factors prevented me from even having clean clothes. We had forgotten to buy detergent last week and the maid did not do any laundry until Saturday morning when I did buy the detergent and so, all of my clothes were wet--our dryer does not work.

At yesterday's assembly, we were visited by former Singaporean drug addicts turned evangelical Christian folk singers and that was every bit as much fun as it sounds. They wanted all the kids to sing along, and one testified about his grandmother, a former "idol worshipper" finding Jesus at age 86. Perhaps they were not told that roughly half of the students were Buddhists/"idol worshippers". In fact, I would bet money that they were not told. It was weird, and unnecessary as one asked the kids how many had parents who were drug addicts, not a hand was raised. Drugs are not an issue at this school. One of the administrators is an evangelical and she booked the gig because, well, who the hell knows?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, my school has been blessed by Evangelical singers before and it took all my willpower to keep from throwing up. There is always someone on staff who thinks we'd all enjoy that! I am hopeful that we can have some decent news after the polls close or I may have to leave the country.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home