Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Daily post

I will be going to Lake Toba, it is settled at last.

I've been asked how often I get tutored in Bahasa Indonesia and the answer is that the lessons are informal and occur when I and the Bahasa Indonesia teacher have time in our schedules. It is informal.

I have become very good with numbers and directions because these are words that come up a lot, and I can order food, and I can read some parts of most menus. That's about all I can do. The easy part of the language is sentence construction simply because there is only the one tense.

Many people at the school are suffering from severe colds, I have minor symptoms but nothing to complain about. It has been very hot during the days. The mornings are very pleasant, the afternoons are not, the evenings become pleasant once again.

It is a clear morning and I could see the mountains surrounding Medan for only the third time since I've been here. Pollution obscures the view on most days. We wake up at 5:30 on school days, but today I awoke at 5 and walked around the neighborhood to listen to morning prayers. They seem to come from all directions. It is a good time for a walk and inspiring. I recommend it.

Thursday, today, is the lightest day in my schedule, only a few classes and no basketball. I can leave at 4:15 tonight instead of 5:30 and that allows me to go out for dinner and be a bit social. It's a mini break within the week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael,
I just sent you a post (Thurs. 7:45 pm US). I'm doing this as a heads up because I'm hopelessly technically inept. Let me know if you get it. I'm looking forward to hearing early morning prayers.
Dave

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home