Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Language Indonesian and typos

The word Bahasa means simply "language." So English would be, "Bahasa Ingriss" and so on. Bahasa Indonesia gets shortened to Bahasa in daily but it literally doesn't mean the Indonesian language unless you say the whole thing. Shortening it to "Indonesian" makes more sense and that is done too, but both are understood.

I have read my posts and noticed that in haste I have made many classic errors, using "to" instead of "too", or "Their" instead of "they're" or "there", or "whose" instead of "who's." I do know how to use them properly, it's just that when I type my fingers go where they want and I am a terrible proofreader. Sorry.

Last Saturday was a Moslem holiday, I don't know in recognition of what, so it was not possible to enter the Mosque. I am told that visitors are generally welcome. I don't know if pictures are permitted, I have seen pictures of Mosques but Islam not of the inside, that I can remember. If you happen to wake up at 4:30 in the morning, you can hear the prayers recited, of course they are recited 5 times per day and you can hear them at other times as well, but at 4:30 in the a.m. there is little other noise in Medan and the recitation has quite an affecting affect.

Many of the teachers here like to go to spas for massage. They offer the gamut of cultural techniques and give you ginger tea which is really quite good. I've been twice. Generally speaking, I am not really a massage person, but it's only ten dollars and the showers are good and you do feel a lot more relaxed when thing is finally through. It costs about 10 dollars US.

I am on tenterhooks about the weekend and don't know if I'll get to see Lake Toba or what, should know by tomorrow. I do have a short break coming up next Thursday and may well go somewhere in Sumatra then, I'll keep you updated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home